Five people died from the novel coronavirus in Bangladesh in the last 24 hours, taking the total number of fatalities in the country to 17, said the Institute of Epidemiology, Disease Control and Research (IEDCR) on Tuesday.
Besides, 41 people have been diagnosed with COVID-19 disease during the period. With this, the total number of confirmed coronavirus cases now stands at 164.
This is the biggest jump in confirmed coronavirus cases over a 24-hour period since the country announced its first cases on March 8 last.
IEDCR Director Prof Meerjady Sabrina Flora disclosed the latest virus figures at an online press briefing this afternoon.
Prof Flora mentioned that among the 41 newly infected patients, 20 are from Dhaka and 15 from Narayanganj. 28 of them are male and the rest are female.
The IEDCR director also revealed that one of the new patients is aged under 10.
A total of 792 samples were tested across the country in the last 24 hours, Abul Kalam Azad, director general of the Directorate General of Health Services, added.
Meanwhile, the global death toll from coronavirus reached 74,816 on Tuesday.
It has so far infected 1,349,664 people around the world, according to Worldometer.
Of them, 988,184 are currently being treated with 47,412 being in serious or critical condition.
So far, 361,480 cases had outcomes and of them, 286,664 (79 per cent) recovered and remaining 74,816 (21 per cent) died.
© 2020 - All Rights with The Financial Express