The Financial Express
Swasti Lankabangla Swasti Lankabangla

Sinha killing: RAB arrests three witnesses in police case

| Updated: August 12, 2020 09:19:17

Sinha killing: RAB arrests three witnesses in police case

The Rapid Action Battalion (RAB) has arrested three men who were named as witnesses in a case started by police after the incident of killing of retired army major Sinha Md Rashed Khan in Cox's Bazar's Teknaf.

"They are the witnesses in the case started over the incident. They were arrested over their involvement in the murder," said Director of the RAB's legal and media wing Ashik Billah, report bdnews24.com and UNB.

The elite police unit produced the three men before a Cox's Bazar court on Tuesday afternoon to seek permission to interrogate them in remand, he said.

The RAB has sought permission to grill them for 10 days but a timeline for the application hearing is yet to be confirmed, according to a court police source.

The arrestees are Md Nurul Amin, Md Nezamuddin and Mohammed Ayaz, who were apprehended from the Marishbunia area under Teknaf's Baharchhara Union on Monday, said Wing Commander Azim Ahmed, captain of RAB-15 Cox's Bazar Battalion.

Major (retd) Sinha was killed in police firing at Baharchhara police check-post on July 31.

Sharmin Shahriar Ferdous, elder sister of Sinha, filed a case with Teknaf Senior Judicial Magistrate Court after the incident on August 5.

Senior Judicial Magistrate Tamanna Farah issued warrants for the arrest of all the accused after taking the case into cognizance on that day.

Officer-In-Charge (OC) of Teknaf Police Station Pradeep Kumar Das, an accused in the murder case, surrendered the following day and police later took him to Cox’s Bazar.

The home ministry formed a four-member committee, headed by Mizanur Rahman, additional divisional commissioner (development), on August 2.

The authorities on August 2 suspended 21 police officials, including the in-charge of Baharchhara police outpost, in connection with the killing.

Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina on August 4 assured the mother of Major Sinha of proper investigation into the murder of her son and the trial of his killers.

Share if you like