The government has extended the date of hajj registration until April 8 this year considering the outbreak of coronavirus or COVID-19 across the globe.
State Minister for Religious Affairs Sheikh Md Abdullah informed the media about the decision at the secretariat on Wednesday, reports UNB.
“Currently, communication with Saudi Arabia remains suspended due to coronavirus threat but registrations will continue so that we can send the pilgrims immediately after the situation improves,” he said.
Hajj registration started on March 2.
Pilgrims will have to pay Tk 1,51,990 for registration under private management, Abdullah said adding that no additional charges will be allowed.
Earlier on February 24, the cabinet approved the draft Hajj Package-2020, fixing the minimum cost for an intending pilgrim at Tk 315,000 under package-3 managed by the government.
This year, 1,37,198 people are scheduled go to Saudi Arabia to perform hajj -- 17,198 of them under government management.