Government bans mobile phones within 200 metres of SSC exam centres

Published: February 12, 2018 17:12:05 | Updated: February 13, 2018 16:53:05


Government has slapped an embargo on carrying mobile phones near the exam centres in a desperate bid to plug question leaks of the school-leaving SSC and equivalent exams.

Education ministry on Sunday sent a directive to authorities across the country, which ordered to arrest anyone found with a mobile phone within 200 metres of exam centres.

According to bdnews24, the instruction to all district administration and education board chiefs also said students, who will fail to take their seats 30 minutes before the test, cannot be allowed to take the tests under any circumstances.

Referring to the 30-minute instruction, it said some centres were still found allowing students to sit for the exams and that the individuals carrying smartphones were spotted near the centres.

Regulations stipulate only the centre secretary is allowed to use a phone with no camera. But he or she has to use it in the office.

Since the exams started on February 1, leaked questions are appearing on the social media, especially on Facebook, few hours ahead of the tests.

Education Minister Nurul Islam Nahid has announced a cash reward of half million taka for information leading to arrest of question leakers.

But the government has failed to stop the menace despite adopting several measures, which included a clampdown on internet and shutting coaching centres during the exams.

On February 4, the education ministry formed a panel over the issue, which is headed by the Secretary to the ministry’s Technical and Madrasa Education Division Md Alamgir.

After its first meeting on Sunday, Alamgir said they have blocked 300 mobile phone connections, which had been used to circulate leaked questions.

Police have launched raids to detain the owners of the mobile phone connections, he added.

Share if you like