Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, the director-general of the World Health Organization (WHO), has said that he is self-quarantining after someone he was in contact with tested positive for COVID-19.
He said on Sunday that he had been identified as a contact of someone who tested positive for the virus, but added that he was feeling well and did not have any symptoms, reports Reuters.
“I have been identified as a contact of someone who has tested positive for #COVID19. I am well and without symptoms but will self-quarantine over the coming days, in line with @WHO protocols, and work from home,” Tedros said in a tweet.
In another tweet, the WHO chief said: "It is critically important that we all comply with health guidance. This is how we will break chains of #COVID19 transmission, suppress the virus, and protect health systems."
He said the WHO team will continue to engage partners to save the lives of people and protect those who are vulnerable, according to global media reports.
"My @WHO colleagues and I will continue to engage with partners in solidarity to save lives and protect the vulnerable. Together!" he said in another tweet.
As per the WHO website, a total of 45,942,902 have been confirmed as Covid-19 positive cases while the deadly disease has claimed the lives of 11,92,644 patients.
Covid-19 has affected a total of 219 countries across the world.