The Financial Express

Mexico loses over 900,000 jobs due to Covid-19 in first half of 2020

| Updated: July 14, 2020 14:48:19

Evaly and Fianancial Express Evaly and Fianancial Express
File photo (collected) File photo (collected)

Mexico lost 921,583 jobs in the first half (H1) of 2020 largely due to the impact of Covid-19, the Mexican Institute of Social Security (IMSS) reported on Sunday.

In June alone, Mexico lost 83,311 formal jobs as a result of the pandemic, the IMSS said in a report.

In the six-month period, Mexico, Latin America's second-largest economy after Brazil, saw nearly 19.5 million jobs registered with the IMSS.

Of those jobs, 86.6 per cent were permanent jobs and the other 13.4 per cent temporary ones, reports Xinhua.

Mexican President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador has estimated the country will lose 1 million jobs in 2020 due to the pandemic, while his administration is implementing a plan to generate up to 2 million new jobs.

Since detecting its first case of coronavirus infection on Feb. 28, Mexico has registered over 290,000 confirmed cases and 34,730 deaths from the disease.

Share if you like

Filter By Topic